Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Eight-Month-Old Comics: The Superhero August 4 and 11 (2021) Edition (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Sinister War #2 (August 4):  Like "Amazing Spider-Man" #71, this issue doesn't really do anything to advance the plot.  Spidey simply gets bounced from fighting the Savage and Sinister Sixes to fighting the Syndicate, the Superior Foes of, well, him, and the Wild Pack.  In fact, he doesn't so much as fight them as get tossed between them.  I think Kraven's daughter manages to snag him, but it seems that she may not work for Kindred?  I think that he sends everyone else after her to get Spidey?  I think?  Maybe?

X-Men #2 (August 4):  Remy playing cards with Black Cat, Rhino, and the Thing - or, as Rogue says, "the entire Bar with No Name," shows at least someone is enjoying their time in New York!  

The rest of this issue focuses on the X-Men taking on the latest threat Gameworld sent, namely an Annihilation Wave that a suicide bomber unleashed.  Jean and Polaris join powers so Jean can read the dead Gameworld agent's mind (making an "MRI machine for memories"), and Jean now knows Gameworld's game.  

Duggan also makes it clear that the X-Men is serving as a powerful public-relations tool.  Dr. Stasis is hoping to stoke fears that "mutantdom is a secretive island cult."  However, given that the residents of the town that the X-Men saved serve them up some barbecue, Orchis is going to has an uphill fight on that front.  

Finally, Larraz continues to shine on this title, and I dream of him taking over "Amazing Spider-Man" one day.

Spider-Man:  Spider's Shadow #5 (August 11):  This series ends pretty much along the lines I expected, as Spidey figures out a way to take out the symbiote.  He uses an image inducer to trick it into thinking he's Johnny Storm, which I'm not sure that I totally buy, since I'm assuming that the symbiote has other senses that would tell it that Johnny wasn't Peter.  But, I'll go with it.  I more or less expected the courts to exonerate Peter, given that the other heroes (most notably, Cap) could testify that they had limited control over themselves while under the symbiote's influence.  

I was most surprised when Sue Richards offered Reed's spot on the team to Peter.  (The symbiote killed Reed to ensure that Peter couldn't free him and get help from him.)  I get that Johnny and Sue would forgive him, since, after all, Ben could also testify to them what it was like under the symbiote's influence.  But, I have a hard time believing that Peter could return to being Spider-Man.  Given how front and center his guilt is, I just don't know how he'd manage it.  

That said, Zdarsky shows MJ telling Peter last issue that he's the best person she knows not because he's perfect but because he isn't perfect and does good all the time regardless.  That sentiment certainly exists in this ending enough for me to believe that it's a possible outcome.  But, I'd imagine that Peter struggles with that guilt in pretty serious ways for the rest of his life.  

All in all, it's been a solid series.  I'm not sure how stoked non-Spidey fans would be with it, but, from this Spidey fan to other ones, I'd say that it's worth a read (particularly if you're into beardy, sexy Peter).

Also Read:  Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1 (August 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment