Thursday, March 22, 2012

On Spider-Man 2099

I've always remembered "Spider-Man 2099" fondly and I think my decision to drop it after issue #25 was more money-inspired than comic-inspired.  I didn't particularly like "X-Men 2099," the only other 2099 title I read, but I've always retained the sense that Miguel O'Hara was a great character.  I had that sentiment affirmed in the two most recent Spider-Man video games, "Spider-Man:  Shattered Dimensions" and "Spider-Man:  Edge of Time."  Two of my favorite comic-book authors -- Dan Slott and Peter David, respectively -- wrote the games and Miguel plays a significant role in both of them.  In "Spider-Man:  Edge of Time," David really excels in portraying Miguel as a darker, though still heroic, version of Peter Parker and I wasn't surprised at all when I re-discovered that he, in fact, originated the character.  It was this portrayal that got me thinking of picking up the series again.  So, I spent some time collecting the issues I missed and, thanks to the Comic Book Database, I think I've actually managed to amass every one of Miguel's appearances.

I'm a few issues into the series already and my "Summary" sections tend to be a little...involved, because David really covers an incredible amount of ground in the first few issues.  It's full-on world creation in the best tradition of fantasy and science-fiction literature.  After the initial three-part origin arc, you feel like you know Miguel and his world and it leaves you wanting more.  I'm going to post the reviews in chronological order, more or less as listed by the Comic Book Database, including Miguel's appearances in books like "Ravage 2099" and "2099 Unlimited."  I'm excited to take this trip back to the future, though I think I'm going to wind up frustrated that he's not around any more and become one of those people organizing Internet campaigns for Marvel to bring back his character.  Viva Miguel!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! True story, I was talking to somebody(can't remember who) about this very series, mainly because I openly love PAD's work and Spidey 2099 is one of the few works of PAD's that I don't have, but want. Growing up it was X-Men 2099 and Doom 2099 for me. I managed to collect the early issues of both series straight through to issue 12 or so, and then have a few spotty issues here and there. I have a few Ravage, Punisher and yes, even Ghost Rider 2099's from various mystery grab bags I managed to pick up, but oddly, I have NO Spider-Man 2099 issues in my entire collection... I'll definitely be looking forward to those reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly? I'm totally floored by how good it is. I mean, I'm not surprised, since it's PAD, but Miguel is a totally different character than almost any other character I think I've ever read. David really takes the 2099 football and runs with it, too. Plus, as usually with PAD, it's not just about Miguel. He's created this whole fascinating supporting cast for him, and it keeps getting more and more interesting with each issue. I only have vague recollections of how the stories progress until issue #25, when I originally stopped collecting, so I'm really enjoying the fact that it feels like I'm reading it for the first time. I feel like they could just start re-publishing it now and it would feel just as fresh. The art is also amazing. It's that early 1990s style that serves as a counterpoint to the McFarlanes and Lees.

    If you can pick up the issues, it's totally worth it. I've gotten through eight issues and am waiting for my shipment of all the secondary books in which Miguel appears. Hopefully it's here soon because I can't wait! I'm particularly excited about "Fall of the Hammer," which is the first cross-2099 cross-over event. Imagine: being excited about a cross-over event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad Marvel hasn't put out any full collections of the 2099 stuff... I would definitely be interested in picking a few of them up. Then again, early 90's comics are pretty cheap still, so I may be able to score Spidey 2099 for a reasonable price from eBay or some online shop. Next day I have off from work, I think I'll scout around and see what I can find.

    "Imagine: being excited about a cross-over event!" Ah yes... The good old days when crossover events actually meant something and oftentimes were good... How I remember them... :D

    ReplyDelete