Thursday, November 29, 2012

New Avengers #34 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I can't think of a more fitting issue to end Bendis' run on "New Avengers."  It had little sense of continuity, confused structural chaos for depth, and vomited lines of cheesy dialogue.  It's like the whole run in one issue.

It's the sloppy continuity that bothered me the most, because Bendis manages to remember that he killed off Brother Voodoo, but forgets that he also destroyed the Eye of Agomotto in the same issue.  Dr. Strange makes that point extremely clear in "New Avengers" #6, the issue where Voodoo dies, when he says, "And now we have no Sorcerer Supreme and the Eye is gone."  We don't really have any ambiguity there.  The panels before that statement show the Eye disappearing.  But, using and abusing continuity never bothered Bendis before this issue, so I shouldn't be surprised when the Eye suddenly appears in the hands of the Ancient One here with no explanation.  Que sera sera.

I will say that the resolution of the fight intrigued me, since I bought the idea that Drumm killed the other sorcerers because they would be willing to engage in the Dark Arts, whereas Strange wouldn't be so willing.  But, it was still unclear to me why Victoria Hand had to die.  In fact, if Drumm was trying to hide from Strange until the last possible minute, shouldn't he have avoided using Hand at all?

If the continuity enraged me and the resolution confused me, it was the chaos that made me wonder why I was even bothering.  In the beginning, Drumm appears to be able to control all the Avengers at the same time.  However, halfway through the issue, he inexplicably seems only to control them in sequence, allowing some of the Avengers to try to help Dr. Strange.  But, Bendis often fails to make it clear who's fighting who on behalf of whom.  At some point, it feel like you're simply just flipping pages of a sketchbook and not reading an issue with a plot.

This confusion is made all the more profound by the use of the "jam artists," since Marvel for some reason decided to have six artists other than Deodato portray parts of Drumm's fight with Dr. Strange.  It was already difficult to tell who Drumm was possessing at what time before this sequence of pages, but it became almost impossible when suddenly everyone starts to look different.  Moroever, the quality of the art varied enormously, with one artist portraying the Thing as if he had gone on some sort of drastic diet and another artist portraying Cap and Dr. Strange as if the page had been drawn by the artist's six-year-old child.  If anything, this sequence made me appreciate Mike Deodato all the more.

Finally, it wouldn't be a Bendis book without awful dialogue, and we get plenty of it here, with the final conversation between Luke Cage and Jessica Jones taking the cake.  It's Bendis' version of a playful marital spat and it's just ridiculous.  Also, it's not just ridiculous because of the fact that it's bad dialogue, but it's ridiculous in its actual context as well.  Why would Luke re-start Heroes of Hire if the whole point of him leaving the Avengers is that he doesn't want to put himself in danger?  Is he only going to investigate lost cats now?

[Sigh.]

Good-bye, Bendis.  I unfortunately have to read you in other series, but at least you won't be ruining the Avengers for me anymore, as you have for the last eight years.  Don't let the mansion door hit you on the way out.  At least you didn't destroy it...again.

6 comments:

  1. HA!!! This is one of my favorite posts ever! It sounds like EVERYTHING I hated about Bendis wrapped up in a neat little bow! I am SO glad I didn't decide to pick this storyline up(I ALMOST was sold on it when somebody told me Daimon Hellstrom was in it). Granted, I feel bad for you, but hey, we got a hilariously great post out of it, so that works! Well, for me, probably not so much for you... ;) I'd ask what happened to Brother Voodoo and Victoria Hand, but a) I don't want to make you think about this comic any more than you already did(that would be cruel and unusual punishment) and b) I don't really care all that much about either character all that much to begin with! Good ol' Bendis...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, it was SO bad. Hellstrom was pretty much an afterthought, so good call not getting it. On Voodoo and Hand, I'll tell you only because it shows JUST HOW BAD this issue was:

    So, Voodoo sacrificed himself in the first arc of this latest series of "New Avengers" to stop Agomotto from taking over our dimension (or something like that). Apparently, his brother, Daniel Drumm, blamed Dr. Strange for his death and proceeded to possess Victoria Hand and use her to kill a series of powerful sorcerers. Dr. Strange eventually put two and two together and realized it was Drumm. He also realized that Drumm killed those sorcerers not because they'd warn Strange, but because they'd be willing to use the Dark Arts (to quote J.K. Rowling) to fight Drumm, something Strange wouldn't do. But, SURPRISE, Strange does and defeats Drumm. He's then rewarded by the Ancient One with the Eye (hence my anger, since it was destroyed in that first arc) and becomes Sorcerer Supreme again, allegedly for showing his mastery of the Dark Arts while not being possessed by them. Hellstrom then appears at the end and announces that he's not really dead yet and Dr. Strange should come find him. Meanwhile, Hand just sort of died at some point earlier in the arc. I think that we're supposed to believe that the possession killed her, but I'm not really sure. It's handled pretty poorly at the end, too. We just suddenly cut to a scene where someone mentions that they expected her to get resurrected. Then, someone is like, "She was nice," and someone else was like, "Yeah. Wanna get lunch?" I mean, I pretty much hated Victoria Hand, but I'm surprised that Bendis, who loved her, gave her such a crappy good-bye.

    Obviously, I'm just glad it's over and this title might actually feel like an Avengers title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!!! Thanks for suffering through that summary, JW, 'cause it made my day... I stopped this version of New Avengers pretty early on(I didn't like the team and wasn't feeling Brother Voodoo as the Sorcerer Supreme over the likes of Strange and Doom), so I missed all of the Bendis fun and games here... It sounds SO BAD!!! Why would Agomotto suddenly go evil and try to take over this dimension?! And why would the Ancient One suddenly HAVE the Eye again if a) it was destroyed and b) it went EVIL?!? And Hand just sort of died from her possession?!? What the hell is THAT?! ....... Oh Bendis... The best was the dialogue you put at the bottom because that is SO Bendis-like. I could literally see Spidey and Luke Cage randomly saying that while surrounded by forty other mute characters. So basically, along with aliens, Bendis should stay far, far away from magic stories. And what was with Hellstrom randomly popping and and being all, "Hey Doc, when you got the time, look me up!" What?!? Bendis is insane... Plain and simple! :D

    ReplyDelete

  4. OK, just to show you how incredibly right you were here about the Hand scene, I'm going to transcribe the scene from "Avengers" #34. I'd scan it, but I'm not entirely sure how to make it readable! Here you go!:

    [Begin transcription:]

    Panel #1:

    Silent shot of statue of Victoria Hand, with Thor, Iron Fist, Iron Man, Captain America, Spidey, and Dr. Strange in the background.

    Panel #2:

    Thor: "Godspeed, Victoria Hand."

    Daredevil: "I liked her." (He was apparently standing behind the statue, so he wasn't in the group shot in Panel #1. He also apparently developed some amazing relationship with her off-panel in the five minutes that he's been an Avenger.)

    Cap: "She was one of us." (Deep, Cap. Deep.)

    Spidey: "I was hoping that when Strange got rid of Daniel Drumm, she would magically come back to life or something."

    Mockingbird: "Me too, actually."

    Dr. Strange: "Sadly, that is not how it works."

    Panel #3:

    Enter Luke and Jessica Cage.

    Iron Man: "Hey, Cages."

    Mockingbird. "You two look different."

    Luke Cage: "This is what I look like when I've actually slept 8 hours in a row."

    [End transcription.]

    So, there you go. After all that time wasted on her, she basically got one panel where Spidey said that he wished she could get resurrected and Dr. Strange said "it" doesn't work like that, except for "it" working like that for at least five of the characters (Captain America, Iron Man, Mockingbird, Spider-Man, and Thor) standing there. Screw you, too, Bendis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That scene, in a nutshell, is Bendis... A bunch of characters saying nothing, and then rapidly moving onto another topic, where they will inevitably say nothing! Every character is pretty much interchangeable, I mean really, anything let's say Cap said could have easily have been said by Mockingbird. Or Hawkeye. Or Luke Cage... He doesn't have the ability to give each character their own distinctive "voice". For the most part, almost every character "sounds" like Ultimate Spider-Man to me...

    I must admit though, I legit loled at Cap's line... Who says something like THAT at a memorial service!? "She was one of us."?! Like seriously?! Who would say that?!? Oh that wacky Bendis... And I love how Spidey and Mock just kind of meh-ed Hand's death by wondering why she didn't come back/when she would come back. And then Luke and Jessica just saunter in fashionably late! It's so horribly absurd that I can't help but laugh! "So Victoria is dead... Hey look, it's Luke Cage! What's up, Luke!" Horrible... Eh, at least I got a laugh out of it! Thanks for that, JW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right? Luke and Jessica slept through the memorial service? Nice, Bendis. Nice.

    The interchangeability of the dialogue is probably my #1 complaint about Bendis. I can forgive a lot of things, but when Captain America sounds like Hawkeye or Spider-Man, you've got a problem.

    ReplyDelete