Thursday, November 29, 2012

On Bendis

As I was writing my reviews of "Avengers" and "New Avengers" #34, I decided that I couldn't let the end of Bendis' run on those series pass without commenting on it.

I've made it pretty obvious over the years that I haven't been a fan of Bendis's run on the Avengers titles.  I actually loved "Siege," the first work of Bendis' that I ever read.  But, his tenure on the Avengers titles focused too much on the grand battles that made "Siege" work and and too little on the character development and team dynamics that make "Avengers" work.  Bendis frequently played fast and loose with continuities, changing characters' histories and personalities to make them match whatever story he was telling at the time.  Partly as such, it seems unlikely that any he told in his run is going to have a lasting impact.  Wonder Man suddenly hated the Avengers, the Scarlet Witch suddenly went crazy (again), Iron Man believed in big government.  All of a sudden it seemed possible that Cap would start praising the virtue of the Nazis or Namor would start waxing poetic about humans.

Of course, the impact of these fluctuations in characterization was at least muted by the fact that Bendis was often juggling at least a dozen characters in each issue, so you didn't have time to linger over your confusion.  "Why is Hawkeye encouraging everyone to file their taxes on tim...wait, is Spider-Man killing someone?"  In fact, Bendis cycled so many characters through "Avengers" and "New Avengers," with so much overlap, that I'm actually hard pressed to tell you the actual roster of each team.  

In his farewell letter, Bendis admits that his goal was to basically tell slug-fest stories.  He tells us that he just wanted to tell the stories that he wanted to read.  Basically, he admits that it was all about him.  He was less concerned about telling a story that developed the characters and more concerned about seeing how many superheroes he could cram onto a page at a time.  I get fun.  I do.  But, I feel bad for Bendis that he thinks the Avengers are just a pale imitation of the Justice League.

One of the Avengers runs that I remember most is Bob Harras' in the mid-300s.  It involved the Black Knight/Crystal/Sersi love triangle and the mysterious Proctor and the Gatherers.  I actually remember feeling frustrated with it at the time, in part because I was an impatient teenager who didn't understand why Harras couldn't just tell us Proctor's identity.  But, after all these years, I remember those comics so vividly because Harras didn't rush those stories.  He let them develop at a natural pace.  He'd go and tell other stories, and other authors would come and tell other stories, and then he'd return to the story to thicken the plot.

It wasn't really an A-list roster.  Sure, you had Cap, but everyone else was pretty B-list:  Black Knight, Black Widow, Crystal, Giant Man, Hercules, Sersi, and Vision.  But, Harras did a great job of playing up the affections and tensions between them.  I remember feeling devastated for Crystal when Dane took Sersi's hand and stepped through that portal.  We had gone through so much by that point that it seemed cruel that they didn't get a chance to have their happy ending.  But, the fact that I felt that way showed how much I cared.  It reminds me now of the great scene at the end of "Avengers" #230 when Hank finally leaves and Captain Marvel and She-Hulk comfort a crying Jan.  The Avengers have never been the Justice League.  They've always been a family.

Bendis never got that.  He never got that I think most of us rarely remember battle sequences from comics. But, I do remember Cap holding up the Cosmic Cube and telling Bucky to remember who he is and I remember Beast making a witty remark while grabbing Jean right before Cyclops obliterated Mr. Sinister.  I remember Jean using her telekinesis to dance with Professor X at her wedding and I remember the pancake breakfast the X-Men had after defeating Onslaught.  I remember a woman giving Spidey a box of macaroons after he stopped a thief from stealing her purse right before Christmas and I remember Spidey crying next to Harry Osborn's body.  I remember Jason Todd dying and I remember Tim Drake reminding Batman why he needs a Robin.  I remember realizing what a man Nova had become and Mary Jane reminding Peter that he'll always find a way to save the day.  I remember those moments because I care about those characters and the authors knew that.

I can't recall a single moment from Bendis' run that rises to that level.  I've read his run on Avengers for three years and nothing comes to mind.  The only moment that comes close is Tony Stark telling Steve Rogers that he's not nearly as good at doing something as he is when he's doing it with Steve from "Avengers Prime" #5.  But, Bendis decided that story couldn't get told in the main series.  He made it pretty clear that character development had no business in "Avengers."

Bendis is writing the X-Men now.  He's writing about a team with even deeper emotional connections to each other.  I hope he remembers that.  I hope he takes the time to really ponder what Scott's fall means for Beast or Iceman or Storm.  I mean, don't get me wrong:  I really would love to see Bobby kick Scott's ass.  But, maybe he could actually reflect on it afterwards.

So, ciao, Bendis.  I wish I had something better to say.  I probably would've avoiding saying anything at all, but I couldn't just let you claim that the Avengers are a pale imitation of the Justice League and not defend them.  At least now I can read the Avengers without feeling bad about myself for paying money to do so.

6 comments:

  1. Nicely said, JW... I couldn't have said it better myself. There's so much I want to add here that I don't know where to start... I'll probably just go with bullets to make it easier on both of us.

    -I was shocked that you started Avengers with Siege! THAT was the storyline that turned me from DC and brought me back into the arms of Marvel! It was also probably one of Bendis's best stories, period. You had Marvel reverting things back to the way they should be and DC doing Brightest Day, so yeah, Bendis and that storyline had a HUGE impact on how I spend my comic money to this day.

    -Now, you know that I feel pretty much identical to you with regards to Bendis(hell, there was a time when I referred to him as the Dark Lord Bendis, or just BENDIS! because everything was about him), but I will say this for him... I got back into comics right around the time Bendis took over Avengers. The first Avengers title I brought after my 4 years or so away from comics was the issue where Hawkeye died(#503 I want to say?). I was hooked right then and there. I can't stress how important Disassembled and the subsequent New Avengers was to Marvel AND the Avengers. Before that they had *shudder* Chuck Austen doing Avengers. Yeah, I hated that loner Spidey joined. Sure I hated that Wanda had gone evil(and nuts) and "killed" Vision. Of course I HATED the fact that mass murderer Wolverine was rubbing shoulders with CAPTAIN AMERICA. But, for better or worse(and storywise, there was A LOT of worse), Bendis made the Avengers franchise mean something. Avengers had never been one of Marvel's top sellers. It used to sell around the middle of the top 100. The X-titles, Spidey, even the FF would sometimes sell better than Avengers. After Bendis though we did get an Avengers movie and the Avengers franchise has been, sales-wise at least, never stronger. So yeah, Bendis COULD have given us better stories over these 8 LOOOOONG years, but he did make the Avengers franchise stronger, and for that I do have to give him some props. Will I read his run over again? God no! But he did for the Avengers what Brad Meltzer did for the JLA, he boosted their popularity as high as it's ever been. But then again, adding Wolverine and Spidey to the team probably had more to do with that than Bendis did......

    -I actually just read those issues of Avengers(the Harras run) you mentioned like two years ago for the first time! As a kid growing up I was NOT a fan of the Avengers, I was on the X side of the fence all the way! It was during my second life in comics I discovered the classic Avengers through the 90's and to Busiek's run. Same with Cap/IM and a lot of other characters. I get why Marvel wants an All-Star Avengers team(as I stated above), but I miss the days of mainly b and c list characters on the team... The writers had so much more to work with character-wise instead of worrying about what's happening in Wolvie's book, or Spidey's or Cap's, etc...

    -As for Bendis on the X-Men? So far so good... But we are only two issues in... But hey, his first year or so on Avengers was pretty good, so hopefully we get that before we get 7 more terrible years! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Siege" was awesome. Seriously. Plus, I had the same reaction to you as "Avengers: Disassembled." It was one of the best arcs of Avengers I could remember. I mean, people actually HAD emotions in that arc. As such, after "Disassembled" and "Siege," I just remember going into this recent series of "Avengers" with high hopes because Bendis had done such great stuff. I don't think it was until the Superia arc in "New Avengers" that I realized that it was like another author was writing both titles.

    ACK, Chuck Austen! I think I have a review on here somewhere in the early days of this blog about the "Lionheart of Avalon." I actually quit comics completely because of that arc and, when I re-read it, I completely understood why. Unbelievable trash.

    It's funny about adding Spidey and Wolverine. I don't know if you have "Avengers" #34, but Bendis writes a long letter at the back of it describing how he took over the title. Apparently, at a writer's conference, he and Mark Millar suggest that the Avengers should be like the Justice League, having all the major Marvel Universe characters. (I think I allude to it in the review.) Apparently, all the writers went nuts, screaming that Wolverine can't be on the Avengers. But, Bendis admits that the new publisher at the time saw dollar signs, so he green-lit the change. So, basically, Bendis himself admits that the whole Avengers reboot of that era -- and the addition of Spidey and Wolverine -- was done solely to make a lot of money. I definitely understand that motivation on the part of the publisher. But, as you read that letter, you get the sense that Bendis really only wanted to make the most money for the company, too. In fact, he almost says as much several times. It just becomes really, really clear that he's not in it for the stories, but to make his name and sell a lot of comics. It really explains the eight years well, actually.

    That whole 300-375 or so era of "Avengers" is really great stuff. As a teenager, I remember being confused by a lot of it. But, I just re-read parts of the whole Gathering saga, and that right there is some brilliant shit. Plus, I totally agree on Busiek. That war with Kang, I can't remember the issues, was unbelievable. The silent issue? The issue where Scarlet Witch is a prisoner in a refugee camp? Awesome. I actually remember the fact that the rest of the Marvel Universe ignored the destruction of Washington, DC as the beginning of the end of my time in comics. That story was so amazingly told, with such a grand scope, that it seemed unbelievable that Marvel wouldn't want to honor it by integrating it into the Universe's continuity. I wish writers of huge cross-over events today would just go read that Kang arc and realize how you can tell a huge, emotional story without 90 tie-in issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the Bendis on Disassembled is so different than the guy who wanders around now. That story, and the aftermath, had so much character development and actually made sense! Something Bendis seemed to forget about as he went on... Stories SHOULD make sense! I mean I'm not crazy, am I? The ONLY thing I didn't like about Disassembled was the way Wanda learned about her "dead" children. I think it was something dumb like Wasp making an off-hand comment and then being all, "Whoops!" But the rest was really solid. Although Hawkeye's death was UBER-lame, and was even ridiculed in Cable/Deadpool by Fabian Nicieza(sp?) who had been writing the short-lived Hawkeye series before Disassembled.

    Ah yes, Chuck Austen... That guy... Like I mentioned, I grew up a huge X-Men fan, so when I got back into comics it was Austen's Uncanny and Morrison's New X-Men that I went after first. Honestly? I didn't hate Austen's Uncanny run as much as many other X-fans. When it was bad, it was as bad as anything you'll ever read(the Draco is still the worst comic story I've EVER read!), but the good was pretty solid. But his Avengers work... UGH! He had NO clue what to do with that team! And it showed! i don't know if you know this or not, but before Austen, Geoff Johns of all people wrote like two arcs of Avengers before DC locked him up. That blew my mind to see that Mr DC wrote for the Avengers!

    Yup, I did read that letter(or skimmed it, by that point my brain was melting from Bendis-overload), and saw the part you mentioned. I get it from a business standpoint. I really do. But from a story standpoint, it was a mistake. However, on Marvel's behalf, they have done some great work softening Wolvie's image without completely destroying what he used to be. I still don't think he should be an Avenger, but at least he's dulled the bloodlust a tiny bit. Spidey and Cage kill me though, because they are mainly street heroes and not the world saving type... But yeah, you could tell Bendis pays CLOSE attention to the sales charts because he mentions how many books he sold prior to Avengers and how thrilled he was to sell way more after Avengers. So yeah, Bendis's success was definitely a double-edged sword for the franchise.

    I don't have the full Gathering saga, actually... I have the foil issues, but not the full story. I could probably snag them for relatively cheap, so I'll have to look around for that definitely! And the Busiek run? Totally brilliant stuff. That Kang war, Ultron destroying an ENTIRE country!? BTW, one of my favorite Ultron lines EVER are from that run, I actually posted it here if you're curious; http://xmanscomicblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/some-of-my-favorite-comic-characters.html Even little things like the way Thor interacted with the media is so memorable to me. That was a fantastic run. Probably the last true Avengers run, because then you had fill-ins and Bendis, who transformed the whole thing into what it is now... Oh well, at least we have lots of great back issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have those Johns issues! They're pretty solid. He definitely was getting a feel for the team and building up some stuff. I remember he had some weird theory that She-Hulk's power was fueled by fear, not rage (like the Hulk), but, other than that, it was a pretty solid run. It's amazing that he got replaced by Austen, of all people.

    The Gathering saga is really brilliant, even if, at the time, I didn't appreciate. I do remember not seeing the reveal about Proctor's real identity coming I won't spoil it in case you don't know) and it really blowing my mind. As I think I mention here, I was frustrated at the time, because they had some fill-in issue and arcs within the story. But, in retrospect, it's what made it so great; it felt like the evens were unfolding in real time, where they had to confront smaller threats while this huge one hung over their heads. Great stuff.

    I forgot about the Ultron story! I'm totally going to have to re-read that whole era over my break between semesters. (My main focus, though, is finishing the "Spider-Man 2099" project. I've had to shelve it because of school, but with a good five weeks of vacation, I think I can get at 2/3 of the way through the story!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up those comics before I really knew who Johns was. I read 'em, filed 'em and put 'em away. Then a few years later, after I knew who Johns was, I was going through my Avengers books(probably to pull the Busiek run out), when I saw "Johns" on the cover. Naturally my first instinct was, "That can't be GEOFF Johns writing a Marvel comic book. It must be some other guy with the surname of 'Johns'..." Needless to say, I was blown away when I learned it was indeed THAT Johns. The only thing I can think is that while Johns was working Avengers DC must have locked him up to an exclusive contract, which would explain his sudden departure(and him never writing another Marvel book after that run), as well as the abysmal Austen run... It's really amazing that Austen got Avengers and Uncanny X-Men... Nowadays those books would go to a HUGE writer, especially one after the other, but back then Uncanny was a distant second to New X(and possibly even third to Xtreme X), and Avengers was still trying to gain footing after Busiek's run... How things change in a few years time. You have to wonder, imagine if Johns had remained with Marvel. What if they locked him up to an exclusive before DC? Or if DC didn't bother to lock him up? Man, the entire comic book landscape would be SO different if Johns had less/no impact on DC...

    I'm pretty sure I do know who Proctor is(am alternate version of certain sword-wielding hero, if I'm not mistaken, although I could be...). I really need to make a note to myself to check out which issues I have from around that time(I'm STILL not up to my Marvel books with Collectorz, I'm nearly done with my DC ones though!), and see where I can snag the rest from...

    That Ultron story was gold... But then, I think most Ultron stories are gold, so I'm a bit biased... That story, and the sad, sad, sad story of poor Mark(from the WCA) are probably my two favorite Ultron stories(although for completely different reasons... Ah how I loved those breaks between semesters! My school would usually end around the middle of December and not start back up until around very late January. Of course I liked the mid-May to late August one even more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny you mention Mark! I just read those issues! I went on a back-issue spree a year or so ago, but am only now getting to them. I completed my "AWC" run, which mostly meant getting issues #1-#20. Although it was bizarre (in an '80s comics-dialogue way) to hear Ultron keep calling Hank "Dad," the whole idea of a good Ultron was fascinating. Everyone in the letters pages over the next few issues was clamoring for him to return. Did he ever? I'm wondering if some author with a sense of the past (a Marvel version of Grant Morrison) won't re-read those issues and find a way to resurrect him.

    I'm in the mid Fs in my Collectorz updating. Man, it's a great program. My goal is to have everything logged by the end of the school year. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete