Monday, January 21, 2013

Iron Man #2 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I was...bored.  There, I said it.  I was bored!

I'm new to "Iron Man," so maybe it's just growing pains.  However, I found the technobabble to be an incredible drain on the story.  Somewhere, under all the discussion of "G-Tolerance" and the "standard kinetic blast" just being a "redeployed thruster," you lose sight of the plot.  It's unfortunate, because this story had potential.  Arthur is enigmatic, but Gillen never really gives us a sense of his motives.  Why does he want to create a modern Knights of the Round Table?  For good or for evil?  It's unclear and we're forced to dismiss him, as Tony does, as a self-aggrandizing megalomaniac.  Meredith is also interesting, but Tony defeats her so easily that it's hard to believe that she's as brilliant as she thinks she is.  Moreover, Gillen leaves unclear the connection that Arthur had to Maya Hansen's death.  Tony seems fairly convinced of it, but I'm not sure why.  Is he part of this consortium that possibly killed her to steal the Extremis virus?

I'm definitely going to give this series the full five-issue introductory arc before I make any decisions, but, if I had to guess, I'm not seeing me making it to issue #6.

No comments:

Post a Comment