Monday, January 21, 2013

Minimum Carnage: Omega #1 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

At the end of this story, I have to say, I'm not really sure the story that Bunn and Yost wanted to tell.  We really got two stories, a Carnage story in issues #1 and #5 and a Microverse story in issues #2-#4.  In retrospect, I'm not entirely sure why they needed to be told together.

As I worried, we never really get to the bottom of the dispute between Marquis Radu and the Redeemer.  If this mini-series were a teenage comedy, the Microverse appears to have played the role of the obnoxious blond cheerleader dating the football-team captain; once he realizes that he's in love with the nerdy poor girl, she's quickly forgotten.  It's unfortunate, because I was really interested in the intrigue that Bunn and Yost had carefully crafted between Radu and the Redeemer.  If this mini-series was intended to serve as little more for an advertisement for a new "Micronauts" series, I would understand why we were left in a lurch.  Since it isn't, it simply feels sloppy.

In the end, the fact that the Microverse is so easily forgotten makes you wonder why this mini-series wasn't just a two-issue cross-over event between "Scarlet Spider" and "Venom."  Nothing about the resolution required the journey into the Microverse.  We instead could've just gotten Venom following Carnage to Houston in issue #1 and then joining forces with Kaine to stop him in issue #2, which is essentially what happens in the first and last issue of this mini-series.  But, even if it were just the second of a two-issue cross-over event, I think I'd still be disappointed in this issue.  Are we supposed to believe that Kaine accidentally failed to kill Cletus or are we supposed to believe that he just intending to lobotomize him?  It makes a big difference, honestly, and I don't understand why it was left so unclear?

In the end, I'm disappointed in this whole affair.  I'm also pretty sure that I'm done with "Venom" and I'm pretty glad to see us return to the regularly scheduled programming in "Scarlet Spider."  This cross-over event had potential, but, unfortunately, I just don't think it met it.

No comments:

Post a Comment