Saturday, February 23, 2013

Avengers #3 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

This issue may be the single worst comic book that I have ever read.  I have no effing idea what happened here.  I can think of no issue that better encapsulates the practice of an author conflating intentional confusion with interesting narrative.  As I think I've previously mentioned, I feel like Hickman writes a perfectly normal script and then goes and deletes 30 percent of the words just to make it interesting.  It doesn't.  It just makes it incomprehinsble.

Moreover, even if you just try to get past the awful dialogue and focus on the main events of this issue, Hickman seems to undermine the whole point of this new series:  instead of some expanded Avengers roster rising to an incredible challenge and preventing an alien race from destroying Earth, Captain Universe simply dismisses the alien race with a few words.  It's incredibly anti-climatic and seems to disprove Tony's theory that the Avengers need to get bigger; all they really needed was to add Captain Universe.  I'm giving this series maybe two more issues, tops, before I'm done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment