Saturday, February 23, 2013

Uncanny Avengers #3 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Remender crafts a beautiful story here, truly embracing the "Uncanny" and "Avengers" sides of this story.

First, I have to say how impressed I was with how well Remender uses the 80's-style omniscient narrator here to amplify the drama and tension of the story.  The 00's and 10's have been all about a "Batman"-esque first-person narrator, one that may drive a story but does little to create a mood. But, here, Remender details the terror that the victims of the Red Skull's mob feel, shows the struggle that Captain America experiences in fighting the Red Skull's telepathy, and generally conveys the sense of hysteria that we see seize Manhattan, all through his carefully worded narration boxes.  Moreover, John Cassady perfectly matches these narrative cues with great facial expressions, keeping us focused on the people amidst the chaos that could have easily deadened the emotional impact of the story.

Remender also really gets his characters here.  For example, he perfectly describes a Logan so enraged by the Red Skull's use of Professor X's brain that he gives himself totally to the animal in him.  I also loved his work with Havok and Captain America, showing Havok as completely in charge and unbowed by a mid-controlled Steve's attempts to undermine him.  It's such a nice change from how we usually see Alex portrayed.

But, it's the Red Skull who really takes the cake here.  Remender has created a Red Skull freed from years of stories and baggage, allowing him to retain the brutal focus that he had during the war.  He's totally in command of the situation and the issue.  By having people actually die, Remender makes you wonder where we're going next, showing a Red Skull who has broken free of the usual rules and, as such, is more unpredictable now than ever.

Given how incomprehensible "Avengers" and "New Avengers" are, this issue serve as a stark contrast, a classic story done extremely well.

6 comments:

  1. Agreed all the way around, JW. This comic is SO much better than Avengers... I mean it's night and day! Here you have a villain doing villainous things. It's clear-cut! There's no confusion! I loved it!! It actually makes me sad that Hickman has two Avengers books and Remender only has this one. On the plus side though, at least this is the main Avengers title... But man... Imagine how great it would be if Remender had all three Avengers titles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally. I've made it to January 30 in terms of my backlog (progress!). Once I'm through all the books, I'm definitely taking stock, and I'm pretty sure that "Avengers" and "New Avengers" will be gone. It'll be weird just getting "Uncanny Avengers," but, man, this title is SO good compared to Hickman's books that I feel like getting them would just sully the brand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I've made it to January 30 in terms of my backlog (progress!)" Nice! You'll be reading February's books in February! :P

      Yup, it's weird for me to be dropping Avengers, but I don't see any other options... I don't think Hickman is suddenly going to become the type of writer who pens stories that make sense(he didn't in any of the Fan Four/FF books I read either), and with the next Marvel event coming up(ALREADY?!), I need to pare down a bit. I'll stick with Secret, Uncanny and Young instead. I am also pondering trying out Assemble, but I don't know anybody who reads that comic...

      Delete
  3. If you do get "Assemble" let me know what you think. I really love "Captain Marvel," so I'm tempted to pick up "Assemble" since Kelly Sue also writes it. But, it's continuity light, right?

    Speaking of titles that no one seems to get, do you read "X-Treme X-Men?" I love Dazzler and didn't even realize that she was leading this team, particularly since it's mentioned nowhere else in the X-books. I've been considering picking up a copy, but, given that I'm trying to get rid of titles, not add them, I figure I want someone to vet it first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I most definitely will, JW. I actually have Capt. Marvel #9 and 10 sitting on my nightstand, but have yet to open 'em up. If I enjoy them, I'll almost definitely try out Assemble. I know Assemble is x-over with that Ultron event, so I may just start picking it up then.

    Not only don't I get X-Treme X-Men, I had NO idea Dazzler was leading the team! Like, I am shocked to even find that out! I'm not sure if you know, but JT told me that X-Treme X-Men(and AOA, which probably shouldn't have ever been an ongoing) is being cancelled come April(I think). On the plus side I guess you won't have to worry about adding it and can try to snag the trades cheap down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I think it's totally weird that I saw, like, no advertisement for it. I think the only reason I know about is is just seeing it on the shelves of my comic shop. I think it may involve some alternate dimension stuff, which isn't really my cup of tea. But, good to know about not needing to worry about it!

    ReplyDelete