Thursday, February 28, 2013

Detective Comics #17 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

To be honest, I thought that we already knew that Dr. Meredith was the Merrymaker, so I certainly didn't remember the League of Smiles allegedly killing him in the last issue.  As such, the reveal at the end of the issue fell a little flat for me.  But, Layman tells an interesting "Only in Gotham" story here.  I liked how he was the counterpoint to Harley Quinn; she was inspired to follow the Joker and he was inspired to profit from him.  It's a nice dichotomy that really goes to the point that Layman is trying to make, that the Joker brings out something in the people of Gotham.  I enjoy these sorts of stories about the seedier side of Gotham in general, so I applaud DC for letting Layman use "Death of the Family" to tell one.  But, I'm most excited about seeing the upcoming War of the Penguins!

No comments:

Post a Comment