Monday, September 16, 2013

New Avengers #8 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

As I think I’ve mentioned previously, I’m pretty sure that Jonathan Hickman’s writing style is to write a script and then delete 25 percent of the words.  This issue continues his pattern of never having the characters discuss something directly.  We have no idea what Black Bolt said to make Medusa so angry nor do we know about whom Reed and Tony are speaking when they return from their trip (wherever it is that they went).  It’s left unclear how Namor could benefit from a partnership with Black Swan and we don’t really know who actually leads the invasion that we see at the end of the issue.  In other words, I continue to have no idea what’s actually happening in this series.  I realized in reading this issue that Hickman’s writing is the narrative equivalent of high-school friends knowing a secret but purposefully talking about it in coded language around you to make you jealous.  The good news is that I’m not in high school anymore so I don’t have to tolerate it.  Ciao, “New Avengers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment