Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Avengers World #1 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

OK, I'm game, but we'll see for how long.

The combination of Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer works well.  I'm assuming that Hickman is plotting and Spencer is scripting, because the dialogue here is better than it is in "Avengers" and "New Avengers."  However, the authors maintain control over the sprawling plot, as the Avengers respond to the fact that A.I.M. seems to be attacking them on multiple fronts.  I used "seems," though, because I'm not entirely sure.  A.I.M. is only obviously involved in the Barbuda "event," though the opening page seems to tie it to the Madripoor and Italy events as well.  The main question for me is how this story fits with the story that Spencer is telling in "Secret Avengers."  It feels like it happens after it, since I feel like we're supposed to believe that Dr. Forson remains in control of A.I.M., implying that the Secret Avengers collaboration with MODOK to overthrow him wasn't successful.  But, again, I'm just reading between the lines there, so it's possible that it's all happening concurrently.  

The challenge for this series is going to be juggling this many stories.  I mean, we've got the East Coast under assault from meteorological and seismic events, but all we see is a word-less shot of Captain Marvel, Hyperion, and Thor serving as first responders.  If that story doesn't even merit dialogue, it's hard to be engaged in it, particularly when we've got two other away teams as well as the home team at S.H.I.E.L.D. in action.  Juggling these stories in a way that doesn't repeat the problems that I recently covered in "2099 World of Tomorrow" it going to be the make-or-break for this series.  Color me happy for now.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment