Monday, February 24, 2014

Captain America #15 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I like what Remender does with Nuke in this issue, making him the sympathetic character that he deserves to be, given his long history of shadowy figures manipulating him.  He also does a great job of using Steve's lecture to Nuke about forgetting the wars of the past as a reminder that he needs to do the same thing, something that he himself acknowledges to Sam.  But, of course, it can't all be rainbows and unicorns.  I knew from the moment that Agent Lamia was introduced -- the daughter of a soldier that Nuke saved -- that this issue wasn't going to end happily.  Iron Nail nuking Nuke and taking out the S.H.I.E.L.D. Hub Station -- and Lamia -- in the process wasn't exactly what I expected, thought it got the job done.

That said, the Iron Nail parts of this story bothered me.  First, I think that Remender at some point has to explain how he has all these amazing camera angles on the devices that he's using to spy on the protagonists.  I assume that Hub Station had a lot of cameras, so I understand how he hacked into the feed (though I have to wonder why it was so easy for him to do so).  But, he also seems to have a camera in Steve's bedroom, which seems like the sort of thing that Steve would've noticed at some point.  Second, he's a little too communist.  The conversation that he had with the banker trying to escape his mine lacked any nuance, with the Iron Nail just ranting about capitalists not working as hard as the proletariat.  I mean, sure, OK, I get it philosophically, but, for a modern super-villain, it's hard to believe that he's really just motivated by taking out the bourgeoisie.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment