Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Free Comic Book Day 2014 (Guardians of the Galaxy) #1 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I picked up this issue because I felt like I missed a step in reading "Guardians of the Galaxy" #14, given that we see Venom's debut on the team in this issue and not that one.  But, if you're a long-time "Guardians" reader thinking of picking up this issue, I can tell you not to bother.  Iron Man just walks Flash through the various members' histories and personalities (with the obligatory warning not to call Rocket a raccoon).  Unfortunately, we don't get any sense why Tony picked Flash in particular to go into outer space, the reason why I actually picked up the issue.  You'd think at some point that someone would raise the issue that sending the symbiote back into space might be a bad idea, but the only hint that we get of that is Drax appearing to recognize the symbiote.

The best part of this issue is the "Spideyverse" preview, and I have to say that Slott has raised my hopes to "Spider-Island" levels.  Seeing Gaiman's "1602" characters once again is exciting enough, let alone for the implications of Spidey prime interacting with him (if he survives) and other Spideys.

** (two of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment