Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Amazing Spider-Man #3 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

I actually don't have much to say about this issue, since it's mostly just Slott stoking the fires (heh) that he's planning on building to a conflagration.  (OK, I'll stop with the metaphors now.)

But, let's start with the good.  First, I thought that it was really clever to put Peter at the scene of the fire because the scanners that his team invented to track Electro led him there.  Second, JJJ, Jr. as Bill O’Reilly is perhaps the greatest thing that Dan Slott has given to “Amazing Spider-Man."  I thought that making him Mayor was inspired, but, really, this one takes the cake.  I can't even imagine how much fun Slott is going to have writing him.

Now, we'll get to the bad.  It's not that it's terrible, but I still am having trouble buying the Black Cat's vendetta.  On one hand, Slott does us a solid by making it clear that it's not just about making Spidey pay.  Before, the situation seemed easily resolvable, since Peter would tell Felicia that Otto had controlled his body, explaining his actions.  Instead, Slott makes it more complicated:  Felicia is worried about her reputation as well, so she needs to be seen as taking down Spider-Man to regain her standing.  I sort of get ti, but the problem is that I'm not sure who Felicia is trying to impress.  Super-villains?  It's been a long time since Felicia was a villain, and she certainly has never been a "super-villain" per se.  Is she just worried that people at the Old Thieves home are going to make fun of her?  It's not really a trivial matter, since it does involve Spider-Man's former lover deciding to kill him simply so that people think that she's a bad ass.  Again, I don't really buy it.

But, at least it's not Otto.  Slott writes Pete much better than he did Otto.  I loved him imitating Otto and wondering how no one noticed that he was gone, though I'm not letting Slott off the hook for having us wonder the same thing for the entirety of "Superior Spider-Man."  Too little, too late on that front, pal.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment