Sunday, September 7, 2014

New Warriors #8 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

For a series trading on the name of a 15-year-old team, "New Warriors" actually seems to be doing a better job making me care about the newbies than the veterans.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love me some Vance and Robbie.  But, it's the newer characters' interactions with them that allow us to see them in a different light.  Vance has always been a paragon of virtue, something that the old Warriors appreciates.  But, seeing him through Kaine and Water Snake's eyes, he might as well be wearing a cardigan and telling them to get off his lawn.  Moreover, it's Hummingbird that realizes that Robbie might not exactly be as recovered from his days as Penance as his return to his old costume implies.

But, everyone isn't just here to play second fiddle to Vance and Robbie.  Though I find Marvel's commitment to this Inhuman renaissance almost insufferable, I found myself really liking Haechi here.  Yost walks us through the emotional roller-coaster of his origin story without making it feel clichéd; even though the notes sound familiar, the song still manages to invoke some emotion.  Also, Sun Girl challenges Vance as not only the paragon of virtue, but also the heart of the team.  I could see her heroism inspiring even Kaine to stay.

The only off-note of this issue for me was the scenes with Silhouette, because I didn't remember who this other group of Inhumans were.  They wanted to impress Lash, but how?  Were they the ones that kidnapped Haechi in the first place?

All in all, though, I continue to find myself surprisingly charmed by this series.

*** (three of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment