Thursday, February 28, 2013

Secret Avengers #1 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Huh.  OK, I'm game, I think.  I mean, I've never been hugely interested in SHIELD and the forced uploading of Marcus Fury/Agent Coulson into the Marvel Universe continues to bother me.  But, I love me some Hawkeye, so I'm game for a few issues.

Spencer sets up the framework of this series with this issue, embracing the "secret" part of the title by subjecting both Clint and Natasha to memory-modification programs to ensure that their missions stay classified.  Given Natasha's experience with mind control, Spencer knows that he has to explain why she would agree to such a thing.  The answer?  Unclear.  Apparently, SHIELD has a target that both Black Widow and Hawkeye want eliminated and, if they play nice, SHIELD will eventually let them go after him/her.  The problem, of course, is that it seems difficult to believe that the two of them wouldn't have been able to track down this person without the help of SHIELD if they had really wanted to see him/her imprisoned.  I mean, they're both pretty resourceful.  But, without knowing who the individual is, it's hard to say.  I have to give Spencer the benefit of the doubt here.

Looking ahead, I'm assuming that we're going to see some other folks join the team at some point, maybe some of the previous team members.  One of the things that disappointed me was that Spencer didn't bother to explain why the previous Secret Avengers team disbanded.  Was it because of the Descendants?  Given that this issue came out a week after the other title "ended," I think we were due some sort of explanation.  But, I doubt we're going to get it.

So, I'm not thrilled with this issue, but I'm willing to see where we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment