Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Axis #7 (HERE BE SPOILERS!)

Jesus.  I thought this series couldn't get worse, but, man, Remender just finds new and creative ways to suck here.  (I can't believe that I just wrote that sentence.  Maybe Scott Lobdell has kidnapped him?  That sentence would make a lot more sense if that were true.)

For some reason, Deadpool spends the entire issue speaking like a Humboldt County hippie, and we're supposed to believe that he's the emotional core of the series, as he exhorts Evan to try to overcome Apocalypse.  Meanwhile, the "Avengers" (a.k.a. the villains) have rallied to take on the X-Men.  It's really unclear who's leading them.  Did Steve put them together?  I can't remember that from last issue.  If I cared, I'd do some research, but I don't, so I won't.  You'd figure that it should be Magneto, particularly since Remender seemed to be establishing him as the figure to take on Apocalypse, but he's busy discovering that he's not really Pietro and Wanda's father.  (Surprise!  It's not like we've already been on both sides of this never-ending flipping coin for the last 30 years!)

At this point, the event has devolved into a clichéd race-against-the-clock (literally) plot, with Spider-Man and Deadpool failing in their attempt to disarm Apocalypse's human-eliminating bomb.  The inverted Avengers seem to be scheming to find the absconded Red Skull, but I'm not really sure where Remender is going with that story.  With only two issues left, I honestly don't have any idea where we're going with anything.

* (one of five stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment